March 12, 2009

Tarot: 8 of Water - Being Love, Contemplating its Existence

I sometimes think of those days in the summer - the heat and humidity so oppressive. The sound of crickets at night. I love the sound of the fan at night. It reminds me of my happiest memories. Each summer from the time I was a toddler until I was sixteen years old we would all pack in the car and drive down to the beach in Delaware. Beautiful Delaware - Luscious Delaware. It was always so exciting for me as we neared the condominium. Rising over the bridge - yes I can feel it now. My sister Anne and I would always be stuck in the back of the station wagon - we didn't mind - it was all a grand adventure.

We would always stop in Bethany Beach to buy blowup rafts. It was such a joy to ride the waves on the rafts - the water so refreshing. The crabs under our feet we tried to warn of our presence by stomping our feet. I never knew if this worked or not. Then there were the innumerable sand castles - "mudsopolis" we would call them. Stretching from the water all the way up the beach the endless castles. We would take shovels and dig near the water until the pit filled with water. We created what we called "dribble castles" - taking wet sand in our hands we would "dribble" the mud slowly from our hands creating ornate creations.

At night we all had fans - the sound of the fan was always so soothing. To this day I still turn on the fan at night - even in winter whenever possible. It reminds me of waking up in the morning hearing the fan anticipating such a relaxed time - hearing the tennis ball being hit early in the morning. Those were the happiest times in my life. So now I need the fan to sleep peacefully. The sound of the fan symbolizes the carefree, wondrously relaxed and joyful time in Delaware. All we did was go to the beach eat and read books. Tower Shores - we would always go there for ice cream - we never wore shoes - we played everywhere. I remember at dusk just before dinner we would run and experience the grand presence of the ocean. For two or three weeks each summer I was in heaven - memories I cherish. So now it is part of my sleeping ritual - I always turn on the fan even in the cold just so I can hear its soothing sounds and transport me to that happy time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog, John. What nice memories to retain. Thanks for sending this.

Anonymous said...

I also grew up with fans, John. In Texas where we baked inland and the nights didn't cool until after midnight. Fans also helped me sleep and still do. If I had one here I would go to sleep with it just like you do. We had rotating fans so one waited patiently for the breeze to come back which it always did. George used to have a swamp fan - it just wasn't the same. More like a hurricane! I envy your your fan. Trudi

Anonymous said...

We also went to Delaware to Cape Henlopen in the summertime. I especially loved the car ferry and camping near the beach. My two girls both have the same feeling of magic about our own trips and watching them reminds me that the world is full of possibilities for adventure. Thanks for sharing the blog! I look forward to more posts. Genevieve

Anonymous said...

Hi, John,

A pleasure reading this! I remember going to Laguna Beach in So Cal in the summer, lying on a towel on the sand, hearing the waves. Your writing is very evocative!

Take care,

Dick